Warning! Editing this pageset section will affect all pages on your website.

Fiscal Control FAQ


Where is my pay warrant?

Warrants and advices are normally distributed to the employee's current site if the employee is a contracted employee. If the site is closed for intersession, summer session or the December shut down, warrants are mailed to the employee's home address currently listed on the district-wide database. Hourly or substitute employee warrants are mailed to the employee's home address listed in the district-wide database. If you have questions about the distribution of your pay warrant, please contact Cheryl Roberts at (619) 725-7679, [email protected].

I receive my pay warrant via US mail. I have not yet received my pay warrant. What can I do?

First, ensure that the address is correct on the warrant. If address is correct, wait for delivery. If the address was not correct, submit a change of address form to the Human Resources department. Warrants are forwarded to a new address when an individual informs the US post office of their change in address.

If the address was correct, a stop payment may be placed on a warrant lost in the mail seven calendar days following the mailing of the warrant. After the stop payment has been placed, a replacement warrant will be processed the following day. The replacement warrant will be mailed or the employee may personally retrieve the warrant in the Fiscal Control office. NOTE: If you are picking up the warrant, it cannot be released until after 4 p.m. the day the warrant is produced.


Deposits – how long does it take from the time a check is deposited by the cashier to show up in the school's budget?

It can take up to three weeks for the deposit to be posted to the sites budget. Although checks get deposited every day, the report is prepared weekly, usually every Monday. The Financial Planning department is then in charge of allocating the monies to the requested budget string.


I am retired. Why do I have Medicare tax withheld from my paycheck?

Medicare is a federal tax that the District must withhold from employee pay even if the employee is retired.

I am a STRS member that opted out of Medicare in 1990. I am now retired and working hourly. Why is Medicare tax withheld from my pay?

The exclusion of Medicare holds as long as a STRS member remains “substantially employed” in the same or similar position as when the exclusion was elected. When a STRS member retires and is re-hired in an hourly capacity, this constitutes a significant change and the District is legally required by the federal government to withhold Medicare tax.

Why do the earnings on my W2 not match my earnings on my December pay warrant?

Your pay stub shows your gross earnings. W2 earnings are taxable federal and state earnings. Taxable earnings differ from gross earnings stated on the employee pay stub. Gross earnings less certain deductions (retirement, tax sheltered annuities, etc.) plus certain benefits (imputed income for excess life insurance, etc.) equal taxable earnings.

If you have questions about your taxes or W2 form, please contact Nguyen Phan at (619) 725-7672, or [email protected]. For a replacement W-2, please navigate to PeopleSoft HCM/Self service/Payroll and Compensation/View W-2, W-2c or contact Fiscal Control at (619) 725-7679, or Cheryl Roberts at [email protected] .


Why did my purchase card (P-card) transaction decline?

Contact the phone number on the back of your purchase card to determine the reason for the decline. A P-card transaction may be declined for several reasons. P-cards have a single item purchase limit, daily limit and monthly limit. If your purchase is over one of these limits, the transaction will be declined.

Your P-card may decline if you are making a purchase at a merchant that has a blocked Merchant Category Code (MCC). If your purchase is declined due to the Merchant Category Code, you may use E-pro for your purchase. You may also contact Jeff Anschutz at (619)725-7136, or [email protected], to discuss the purchase.

Do we have a list of authorized P-card vendors?


Can we use the P-card for food?

Yes. See Administrative Procedure 2518. If the total cost is more than $200, approval is needed prior to making the purchase.

Where can I get a P-card application/maintenance form?

Forms can be downloaded from the district web site.


How do I update the ASB signature card for my site?

Notify Jeff Anschutz at (619)725-7136, or  [email protected], of changes in signers for the ASB account at your site. A new signature card form will be emailed to the site. After obtaining the necessary signatures for the site, submit the form via district mail or in person to Fiscal Control so the necessary change(s) may be made at the bank.


What are the contribution limits for 2021 for 403(b) Accounts?

All employees can contribute $19,500.00 in a calendar year.

Anyone who will be at least 50 years old by the end of the calendar year can contribute an additional $6,500.00.

If an employee has been with the district for at least 15 years and has under-contributed in the past, he/she can fill out a MAC form (maximum allowable contribution) and contribute an additional $3,000.00.

For 457(b) Accounts?

All employees can contribute $19,500.00 in a calendar year.

Anyone who will be at least 50 years old by the end of the calendar year can contribute an additional $6,500.00.

If employee is within three years of retirement, and declares so in writing, the employee can contribute double the normal contribution allowed ($39,000 maximum per year for a maximum of three years – must re-declare annually.)

When/How can I take money out of my TSA?

403(b) normal distribution events are: obtain age of at least 59 1/2, separation from service with the district or employee becomes disabled. A 457(b) normal distribution may occur when the employee separates from service with the district.

Can I take a loan on my 403(b) or 457(b)?

Yes, as of the April 13, 2010 board meeting, you are permitted to take loans on your 403(b) plan IF your vendor allows loans and is approved for loans. Please see the San Diego Unified Tax Sheltered Annuity Approved Provider list for details. The 457(b) plan is handled by our third party administrator and does allow loans on the 457(b) plan.

Can I take a hardship distribution from my 403(b) account?

If your provider is an approved provider in our plan AND is an approved information-sharing provider, you may be able to take a hardship distribution. The IRS states the following circumstances may be a qualifying event for a hardship distribution:

  • Medical expenses not covered by employee insurance
  • Costs related to the purchase of a principal residence
  • Tuition and education expenses for next 12 months
  • Payment necessary to prevent eviction or foreclosure
  • Funeral or burial expenses for dependent
  • Expenses for repairs to home that are not covered by insurance and can be claimed as casualty deduction on tax return.

To apply for a hardship distribution, the employee must apply at www.MyRetirementManager.com. Complete the hardship distribution certificate. Send the certificate and supporting documentation to the provider along with providers hardship distribution form.


How can I borrow from my CalPERS or CalSTRS account?

You may not borrow from your state retirement account. However, you may be able to take out a home loan. Contact CalPERS at 888-225-7377, http://www.calpers.ca.gov/ or CalSTRS at 800-228-5453, https://www.calstrs.com/ for information.

How can I get a refund of my CalPERS or CalSTRS contributions?

Terminated employees may take a refund of their PERS or STRS contributions by completing a form and submitting to the District for verification.

When will my unused sick leave be reported to CalSTRS or CalPERS?

Employee unused sick leave is reported to the retirement agencies after the last day of service. Unused sick leave may increase retirement benefits. The District will report unused sick leave time after the employee has terminated from the District. If CalSTRS or CalPERS does not receive your unused sick leave balance in a timely manner, CalSTRS or CalPERS will send a form to the District so that the information can be reported.


What is the cut off date for retiree/COBRA benefit payments?

The benefit payment is due on the first of the month. For example, payment for December is due on December 1st, but has a grace period of 30 days. Payment should be paid before December 31st, within the grace period. If not paid within the month, benefits will be terminated by the Benefits Department.

What if I want to make a partial payment?

Partial payment is not acceptable; however, participants may make advance payments.